Saturday, October 6, 2012

power of acts of kindness, intended or not...

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” Mother Teresa.

One winter semester during college in upstate New York., I took an 8 AM history class to fulfill a requirement. It was hard to get up for that class, but about 15 of us met 3 times a week to brave the cold winds and trudge to that lecture in a nondescript classroom.
The professor for the class was an odd fellow. He had flaming red hair, usually looking slept on, and wore galoshes with one pant leg in and one out. He would creep shyly into the room wearing his hooded winter coat , once not even removing the hood during the lecture. He was terribly ill at ease with the class and clutched the lecture barely looking up at all through his gold rimmed glasses at his students.(“Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.”Mother Teresa.)

I felt that I needed to do something to stem the boredom that would ensue in his lecture, so I created a little game for myself.(“We know only too well that what we are doing is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. But if the drop were not there, the ocean would be missing something.”Mother Teresa.)
I would vow to find something in his lecture to ask him an intelligent question about, forcing me to pay attention rather than letting my eyes close. The first time I raised my hand, you could tell he was surprised and a little reluctant to find out what I wanted. But he was obviously pleased to have a question to answer. In fact, his answers were always interesting.(“Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.”Mother Teresa.)
I continued to do this every day of the course and found myself actually enjoying the material. The professor seemed to become a bit more relaxed and some of the other students even joined in from time to time.(“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” ― Mother Teresa.) My little game had saved me from being bored, as it was designed to do. And, I learned quite a bit about ancient world history in the bargain. The professor obviously knew his material, but had a hard time passing it on to undergraduates in an interesting way. For all of his odd appearance, he was indeed quite an expert in his field.(“Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.”Mother Teresa.)

But the real lesson I was to learn had yet to happen. On the last day of class we gathered our books and headed out the door for the last time. The shy, red-haired professor stepped directly in front of me, with obvious effort, as I reached the door and put out his hand. He said, "I want to thank you for making this class so interesting," as he shook my hand vigorously and smiled for the first time.(“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.”Mother Teresa.)

I was so surprised. To me, it had been a pleasant way to pass the time in an elective. I had no idea that all of my question asking had any effect on him or the others at all.(“At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in.”Mother Teresa.)
That moment has stayed with me for 30 years. Each of us, through the things we say and do, the kindnesses we can freely offer, can have a profound effect not just on our own experiences, but those of others. I don't recall the facts I learned in his class, but I'll never forget the professor who taught me a lesson about the power of acts of kindness, intended or not.

“I am not sure exactly what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us, he will not ask, 'How many good things have you done in your life?' rather he will ask, 'How much love did you put into what you did?”
“Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.” 
Mother Teresa.
- with inputs from Daily good.Org 

17 comments:

NEVER GIVE UP said...

Good Morning Sir.
Thanks for this great lesson.

AK said...

good morning sir

thanks for sharing...

sir please suggest few books(market releted) for weekend...

NEVER GIVE UP said...

@AK
I think this blog is a complete book about stock market just follow this blog and put your trade
no book will give so much knowlege with practicals
like this blog.
Pease read first only these
1. Trending or Sideways.?
2. Pivot, support & Resistance
3. ORB
4. Divergences + / -
5. Trade time cycle-Min/Hr/Day
6. JNSAR Trading method
7. Trading Discipline
8. Tech. Table Reading.

NEVER GIVE UP said...

@AK
These are at the right corner of this blog.
This is only suggestion.

AK said...

@ never give up

thanks friend

parminder said...

Master ilango,
Thanks for sharing the immense knowledge with grace, love and kindness and driving us all to self-Reliance with ur deep understanding and knowledge.
U are truly a full Book which needs to be read again and again.
A quote says :
Work Hard, Share Love But make time for ur family, friends, wife because nobody remembers Powerpoint presentation in the End.
Regards
☺♥☺

SJkolkata said...

Master,
Sorry to disturb on a weekend, but would request you to please clear my doubt on the 2 issues.
1. As you maintain that this is a corrective rise and the major C is pending. Sir, at what level this will be negated.
2. In your yesterday comment you had mentioned about reversal, again the same question, what level will again negate it. My knowledge says it to be 5815 but need your advice on the same.
Thanks

Stockgrp said...

“At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in.”

-Its a timely lesson for the economists leading the country !!

SANPOT said...

Good Evening Ilango Sir. Thank you for the nice post.

Dinesh Rishi said...

Master

(comments shows they love n like it)

where r those goose bumps

lumps in throat

salty liquid rolling down from eye down on one side of cheek reaching lips joint


Plz do a favour


durga said...

master, really i understood the power of KINDNESS
albeit small.thank u GOOD NIGHT.



raman said...

Thank you while heartedly for this wonderful storey.Yes, little acts of kindness when mixed with real selfless love.make a very deep impression both for the giver and receiver.

raman said...

Apologies for the predictive typo errors.

ht said...

wonderful post dear sir happy weekend to everyone

jay shah said...

nice story sir tells us the importance of small things in life which are of such immense value many thanks happy weekend to all

shriram said...

superb master, saw it late but still... :-)

Now, re-focusing on tomo's TA


EMA analysis For Wk ahead
5700 is a very crucial no. for Bulls on Wk TA

Day trend will turn down on EOD close below < 5734 , but has Developing Wk support @ 5692 - 5700 (assuming we have Day open near Friday close).


Nos. to remember for the Trend Follower: EOD tomo : 5735 , bears will rejoice if 5700 breaks descisively

Supports kick in @ Golden Ratio : 5650 /5632 / 5580

Lets wait for tomo, price action will reveal if Bulls can maintain upper hand or bears will assert supremacy.

Have a gr8 trading wk ahead to all !

San said...

Great post Sir

It is futile to judge a kind deed by its motives. Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.

Post a Comment