His grandfather sat him down on a hollowed out log and pulled him in close. "Little Buddy, I want you to remember what I am about to tell you and all I ask is that you never forget what I had to learn the hard way. Do you promise you will remember?" Steven's grandfather asked. Without pause, Steven assured his grandfather he'd remember any and everything he told him.
His grandfather continued, "If you think someone is better than you, always remember that you are the only one who is thinking the other guy is." His grandson looked at him inquisitively and caught his grandfather off guard with his response. "So you're saying that I need to use my brain, is that what you said grandpa?" "You got it Little Buddy! Many folks focus on what they are doing wrong, but the winners figure out what they are doing right."
His grandson replied with yet another super insight based on what he'd heard his grandfather say. "So I need to tell myself that I am good?" he asked. His grandfather smiled and went further: "Not only do you need to tell yourself that you're good, you must always believe that you are great! You see Little Buddy, you've got determination and grit. I've been watching you throw those stones for over two hours and anyone who stays at it that long has what it takes to be a winner even though he may get a bit down on occasion!"
As they walked back up the hill to the home Steven's grandfather built for him and his wife 20 years earlier, his grandfather took hold of his Little Buddy's hand and stated the last piece of wisdom Steven would ever hear him provide. "You'll be at the pitcher's mound next season and I'll be there Lord willing. When you're on that mound, I want you to repeat to yourself what I'm about to tell you when you start to throw each ball. Are you listening son?"
He glanced at his grandfather and boldly stated, "Yes Sir!" "Okay then, I want you to repeat this right after me. 'When I feel down, I know God will lift me up'!" His grandson repeated it three times before they finally reached the front porch.
The next season came and Steven looked into the stands searching for his grandfather's always eager and proud face. "Mom, I don't see grandpa anywhere! Where is he?" he anxiously asked his mother of very strong faith. "Steven, grandpa won't be here today because God called him to be with him last night."
Steven began to cry as his mother consoled him with a firm and comforting hug. "Steven, grandpa told me last night before he passed away to be sure to tell you that he loves you and to repeat what he told you to when you get up to that mound." Steven's dark brown eye's steadied as he wiped his tears away with his baseball shirt's sleeve.
Steven's tears wiped away, he immediately looked up and stated, "When I feel down, I know God will lift me up." His mother's eyes began to water as she patted him on the back and directed his eyes towards the pitcher's mound. As he walked to the mound, his mother continued to hear him repeat what his grandpa instructed him to repeat.
With two strikes and three balls thrown awry in the bottom of the ninth inning, the crowd watched as Steven paused, knelt to one knee, muttered something and stood upright and proudly. He gazed into the eyes of the batter and shouted loud enough for the entire crowd to hear, "When I feel down, I know God will lift me up." Oddly, he held the ball like the stones his grandfather had watched him throw that sunny day only one year ago.
Steven poised himself with his gaze remaining in the batter's eyes. Before the pitch was released, he remembered his grandpa's other words of wisdom--"If you think someone is better than you, always remember that you are the only one who is thinking the other guy is."
Things had settled down after all of the pomp and circumstance and Steven noticed an old man walking his way. "That was a heck of a pitch you threw son," the old man stated with the same look of pride his grandpa often had shown on his face. "Sir, thanks a lot." Steven appeared confused and asked, "Sir, do I know you from somewhere?" The old man grinned, touched Steven gently on his shoulder before uttering, "No son, you don't but your grandfather did."
Steven excitingly exclaimed, "You know my grandpa?" The old man's eyes began to fill with tears as he told Steven, "Your grandfather struck me out just like you did that boy when we were about your age. He told me something I'll never forget just before I got signed on with National Baseball League." Steven's eyes lit up as he waited for what the old man would say next.
"Your grandfather told me that my greatest asset in the Big League wouldn't be my throwing or batting. He told me that if I ever thought someone was better than me, to always remember that I was the only one who thought the other guy was. What he never told me was what you shouted while standing out there on that mound. Your mother called me long distance late last night and asked that I come on down. I was feeling down on the trip to get here, but thanks to you son, God has lifted me up!"
Source: Brian G. Jett
17 comments:
Sir,
Great post, but I dont think so called God will intervene in things, as he is everything and has unbiased approach as Krishna says he is the killer and he is the one killed...only we can lift ourselves.
My perception
The Boy alone pitches the ball..It is his efforts but the super result is possible with the "psyching act" of calling Lord's name, him being a believer.
The non-believers too use such a psychic technique using certain stirring words to wake up that extra energy from within. Sportsperson use such words during critical moments.
I have seen during my childhood "Fire walking" by the devotees. Similar kind of daring acts could be done using God's name.
The essence of Bhagavad Gita is "Geeta upadesh" wherein Krisna encourages the "doubting Arjuna" to surrender all his acts & their results to Him and Arjuna then conquers all his enemies which include his Gurus, grandparents, cousins and uncles. It was possible because Arjuna surrenders to God's will by leaving his "ego" (I'm the doer).Arjuna only lifts the bow & arrow, aims and sends forth arrows and wages the battle for many days...efforts belonged to Arjuna but he surrenders his ego for God's will and that makes him do the impossible.
For the non-believers, it is just a technique of removing one's ego from the act..detaching oneself from the bondage of results and he fonds himself so relaxed and free to exceed all his limits.
This story is also about the bonding of grand father and grand son..granddad finding himself running out of time...grandson hero worshipping and finding himself lost without him and being reminded by his mother about what grand father told him..That belief/faith propels him to achieve greatness.
Whenever we find ourselves lost and alone, we call upon an unseen higher force to give us a lift. It has done so for me from many defeats and death..It has worked..It works..It will.
In a way, it is like calling upon our "inner reserves" to face the seemingly unsurmountable challenges. Those who believe it say..it is a miracle. What is in few words as long as it works its magic.
Nice post Ilango sir, my habit of visiting your blog
making me to learn more EVERYDAY. Thank you again.
thank you very much master.i needed this story.i wait
every weekend for your encouragement.
Dear sir,
As some one has commented "whenever I open this blog every time learning new".Every Saturday's post I am printing the story a for my son-Purvang .
Thanks
Hitesh Vasani
Hi Ilango sir and friends,
I wish to share Free ebooks and pdf's related to Stock Market Trading .
They cover a whole range of useful books and resources which includes Classics and Bestsellers , Guides to Investing and Trading, Various Technical analysis methods , Trading systems ,Trading Strategies, Money management ,Trader's psychology, etc and covering TA subjects as Candlesticks , Fibonacci, Charts , Patterns , Indicators, Options-Basics and strategies , Elliott wave theory , Gann Methods , Market Profile, Swing Trading , Day trading , Market Astrology etc etc etc.
There are few hundreds of them collected over years and I find them very helpful for getting insight of the markets.
Let reading and implementing be an ongoing process that will surely help in evolving as a better trader.
I will be providing links for three books to start with shortly.Those interested can join me
Regards
RV
thank you sir.
Sir,
Today's Hindu also has a good message on the path of action.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-miscellaneous/article1979762.ece
Dear friends,
Hi , this is rochak parekh. Sorry friends, i was away , as i was stuck into some personal work.
This is to remind u that we all have a HEALTH BLOG for our health issues, which is called JN health blog.
Here is the link to its latest post, since the post has been possible due to the contribution of two of our JN friends, hence it is called JN INC.
JUST NIFTY INC
REQUEST EVERY JN FRIEND
kindly share with me , all the experiences/opinions/views, u people have about merits/demerits/do's/dont's/side effects of SOUTH KOREAN JADESTONE THERMAL MASSAGING THERAPY
***** CERA-GEM *****
i NEED UR PERSONAL VIEWS, rather than all the testimonies available on net, so kindly oblige.
regards
OM SAI RAM
Ilango Sir,
"Whenever we find ourselves lost and alone, we call upon an unseen higher force to give us a lift. It has done so for me from many defeats and death..It has worked..It works..It will."
Sir, it works always - with the fact "Ithuvum Kadanthu Pogum"
Thank you Sir,
"What is in few words as long as it works its magic."
That's the most spiritual insight.
After, Swami Vivekananda,Raju(My Friend),Ramana Maharishi,Pual Brunton,Aziz Kristoff you are spiritual guide.
Hello
One nice suggestion for Sunday reading.
I am sure many have heard here of Ramana Maharshi - a truly
enlightened sage.
One of his well known disciples was Robert Adams who was himself
recognized as an enlightened master. Just google for him to know more about him.
One of his disciples has set up an website where he talks
about his experiences with Robert and his teachings on Advaita Vedanta
I have some pdf books on this lineage which you can download her http://rishi.eml.cc/Advait22/
Also read up Ed Muzika's website on Robert Adams at
http://itisnotreal.com/
thanks guru,
tears were in my eyes no word to express
my gratitude in words
may god bless you for 100 generations
advance thanks to rv
yours ever
ganeshlingam
The magic works because there is conviction and belief behind the spoken words.
Thank you very much sir. I get lot of +ve energy with ur every weekend posts.
Post a Comment