Saturday, April 9, 2011

See all there is to see ..Do you ?

Our house was directly across the street from the clinic entrance of John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. We lived downstairs and rented the upstairs rooms to out-patients at the clinic.

One summer evening as I was fixing supper, there was a knock at the door. I opened it to see a truly awful looking man. "Why, he's hardly taller than my eight-year-old," I thought as I stared at the stooped, shriveled body. But the appalling thing was his face -- lopsided from swelling, red and raw.

Yet his voice was pleasant as he said, "Good evening. I've come to see if you've a room for just one night. I came for a treatment this morning from the eastern shore, and there's no bus til morning."

He told me he'd been hunting for a room since noon but with no success, no one seemed to have a room. "I guess it's my face... I know it looks terrible, but my doctor says with a few more treatments . . ."

For a moment I hesitated, but his next words convinced me: "I could sleep in this rocking chair on the porch. My bus leaves early in the morning."

I told him we would find him a bed, but to rest on the porch. I went inside and finished getting supper. When we were ready, I asked the old man if he would join us. "No thank you. I have plenty." And he held up a brown paper bag.

When I had finished the dishes, I went out on the porch to talk with him a few minutes. It didn't take long time to see that this old man had an oversized heart crowded into that tiny body. He told me he fished for a living to support his daughter, her five children, and her husband, who was hopelessly crippled from a back injury. He didn't tell it by way of complaint; in fact, every other sentence was preface with a thanks to God for a blessing.

He was grateful that no pain accompanied his disease, which was apparently a form of skin cancer. He thanked God for giving him the strength to keep going. At bedtime, we put a camp cot in the children's room for him. When I got up in the morning, the bed linens were neatly folded and the little man was out on the porch.

He refused breakfast, but just before he left for his bus, haltingly, as if asking a great favor, he said, "Could I please come back and stay the next time I have a treatment? I won't put you out a bit. I can sleep fine in a chair."

He paused a moment and then added, "Your children made me feel at home. Grownups are bothered by my face, but children don't seem to mind. "I told him he was welcome to come again.

And on his next trip he arrived a little after seven in the morning. As a gift, he brought a big fish and a quart of the largest oysters I had ever seen. He said he had shucked them that morning before he left so that they'd be nice and fresh. I knew his bus left at 4:00 a.m. and I wondered what time he had to get up in order to do this for us.

In the years he came to stay overnight with us there was never a time that he did not bring us fish or oysters or vegetables from his garden. Other times we received packages in the mail, always by special delivery; fish and oysters packed in a box of fresh young spinach or kale, every leaf carefully washed. Knowing that he must walk three miles to mail these, and knowing how little money he had made the gifts doubly precious.

When I received these little remembrances, I often thought of a comment our next-door neighbor made after he left that first morning. "Did you keep that awful looking man last night? I turned him away! You can lose roomers by putting up such people!"

Maybe we did lose roomers once or twice. But oh! If only they could have known him, perhaps their illnesses would have been easier to bear. I know our family always will be grateful to have known him; from him we learned what it was to accept the bad without complaint and the good with gratitude to God.

Recently I was visiting a friend who has a greenhouse, As she showed me her flowers, we came to the most beautiful one of all, a golden chrysanthemum, bursting with blooms. But to my great surprise, it was growing in an old dented, rusty bucket.

I thought to myself, "If this were my plant, I'd put it in the loveliest container I had!" My friend changed my mind. "I ran short of pots," she explained, "and knowing how beautiful this one would be, I thought it wouldn't mind starting out in this old pail. It's just for a little while, till I can put it out in the garden."

She must have wondered why I laughed so delightedly, but I was imagining just such a scene in heaven. "Here's an especially beautiful one," God might have said when he came to the soul of the sweet old fisherman. "He won't mind starting in this small body."

All this happened long ago-and now, in God's garden, how tall this lovely soul must stand.

Men mostly look at the outward appearances, but When he starts to look at the heart, he becomes divine and then starts seeing things the way GOD sees.

Source: Mary Bartels Bray

8 comments:

sgx said...

hi sir,

good morning
as per aggressive shall i sell at 5840-5850?

whats monday stoploss? 5865 ah sir?

MD said...

Dear sir,

Using ur blog space for India’s fight against corruption…. Hope u don’t mind.

Friends,


The final struggle against corruption has started in India, and together we will root it out from our country.

Why is it that no one goes to jail despite so much evidence of corruption in public domain? In order to create an effective deterrence against corruption, “India Against Corruption” has drafted Jan Lokpal Bill, which if enacted would ensure that corrupt people go to jail within two years of complaint and their ill gotten wealth is confiscated.

It happened in HONGKONG and because of mass awakening formed ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption ) and Hong Kong has been transformed from a graft-ridden city into one of the cleanest places in the world, as recognised by international institutions such as the World Bank, the Heritage Foundation and the Transparency International. And now it is happening in India…….

Plz watch following 2 video of India’s fight against corruption:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giAqjxvyRLw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXt-3vB8NME&feature=related

Prabakar said...

Good Morning Ilango Sir,

Even after reading RG sir's post, i am not able to remove "Sir". Kindly accept.

The below is the Best practice i learned today and will practice henceforth. Thanks.

"we learned what it was to accept the bad without complaint and the good with gratitude to God."

sansethi said...

Soul cleansing is very much needed in these environment. God bless the good souls.

Ilango said...

I require Nifty spot 5 minute data from 04th April 2011 to 08th April 2011 - 5 days.

Please send it to me at vanilango@gmail.com

@ Shenita Rose,

You wanted to have "Live charts" as it is updated in my blog.

You have to download the "JustNifty TA(11)" file from the link provided under "EW/TECHNICAL ANALYSIS and update them during market hours.

To Update: (say the Hour data)

1. Copy the last row in "Dat.H" and paste it in the next row.

2. Key in the open, High, Low, Close data for 10.00AM.

3. Now go to "Blog Data" sheet to see the updated ema values and go to individual charts to see the changes, if any.

It is a manual job. I am able to do it as it is only for one "Nifty".

If you have any problems updating, mention them here. Many would be willing to help you out.

"Tech.Table" provides you the "Pulse of the market" namely the trend, weaknesses, strengths with momentum, stagnation, etc. If you can follow the sequenced orchestration of the markets through this changing values & colours, you'll be able to make some "Trade plans" and execute them to your delight.

Pivot numbers have worked so well on "so many occasions" that even if one gets half of their potential, you have traded successfully.

Prabakar said...

Dear Ilango Sir,

Just now saw your post. Sent the data.(Incase if you have not received it already).

Thanks.

ganya said...

dear ,
sir
you are doing a fine job both in money world
and in spirtiual world

god bless you and yr fmly

vazha vallamudan

rajiv malik said...

ilango ji, trust me, even if I quit stock market I will never miss your weekend posts, they are so very inspiring.

Post a Comment

Elliot's Impulse waves.(Part-5)

IMPULSE WAVES :- The Basics Waves that move the market in the direction of its main trend either up or down are called Impulse waves. 1....