Saturday, December 8, 2012

Do something to remember you for how you made them feel.....good.

Twenty years ago, I drove a cab for a living. One late night, I arrived at 2:30 a.m. to pick up a fare. The building was dark except for a single light in a ground floor window. Under these circumstances, many drivers would just honk once or twice, wait a minute, and then drive away. But I had seen too many impoverished people who depended on taxis as their only means of transportation. Unless a situation smelled of danger, I always went to the door. This passenger might be someone who needs my assistance, I reasoned to myself. So I walked to the door and knocked.
"Just a minute", answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor.
After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 80's stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940s movie. By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets. There were no clocks on the walls, no knicknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware.
"Would you carry my bag out to the car?" she said.
I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman. She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb. She kept thanking me for my kindness.
"It's nothing", I told her. "I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother treated"
"Oh, you're such a good boy", she said.
When we got in the cab, she gave me an address, and then asked, "Could you drive through downtown?"
"It's not the shortest way," I answered quickly.
"Oh, I don't mind," she said. "I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice".
I looked in the rear-view mirror. Her eyes were glistening. "I don't have any family left," she continued. "The doctor says I don't have very long."
I quietly reached over and shut off the meter. "What route would you like me to take?" I asked.
For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator. We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.
Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.
As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, "I'm tired. Let's go now"
We drove in silence to the address she had given me.It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico. Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move. They must have been expecting her. I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.
"How much do I owe you?" she asked, reaching into her purse.
"Nothing," I said
"You have to make a living," she answered.
"There are other passengers," I responded. Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly.
"You gave an old woman a little moment of joy," she said. "Thank you."
I squeezed her hand, and then walked into the dim morning light. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life.
I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk. What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?
On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life. We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.
People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Source: “Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace: Living in the spirit of the prayer of St. Francis”-By Kent Nerburn.

35 comments:

The_Unprejudiced_Observer said...

Good morning.
A great post as always.
Thank you!!

Kumar said...

Namaskaaram GuruJi and Friends,

Good Morning.

Have a Good Day.

Pranams
Kumar

Bala said...

Good Morning, Ilango Ji

Ravi Pillai said...

SIR
Good Morning.
We Are All In The GUTTER.
Only Some Of Us Are Looking At The Stars.
Ravi.

J.R.Julius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parimal said...

Good Morning Dear Sir and all friends
nice Post as ever

salimkabani said...

Good morning sir

I want to join paid service. pl give details.
salim_kabani@yahoo.in
9408793621

jay shah said...

wonderful post dear sir thanks very much sent you another mail please reply when you can

jay shah said...

dear anil sent you a mail again dear freind please reply when your free.

Dinesh Rishi said...

Good Morning Master and copy to All

touching as usual

Shradha Saburi said...

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Good Morning Sir and all my Gems OF JN
thanks a lot for the today's post.
Friends!
Maharashtra is the land of Saints & warriors On this holy land we have Bhagwat sect
Epitome of the Bhagwat sect, the Saint that lived and preached philosophy to the masses through his Abhanga, in simple, lucid and yet deeply meaningful language.
for the this post I give one Abhanga by Saint Tukaram
जे का रंजले गांजले त्यासी म्हणावे जो आपुले
तोची साधू ओळखावा देव तेथेची जाणावा
Je ka ranjale ganjale | Tyansi mhane jo apule ||
Tochi Sadhu olakhawa | Deo tethechi janawa ||
(Revere a person as God, who loves the harassed and poor people as his own kin!)
Friends, i am thankful to all the members of this blog for all the knowledge i have gained through this blog...I owe it all to Shri Ilango sir and to all my selfless colleagues(known and unknown)... so it is my duty to share it with you all.I am making little efforts to understand JNSAR and J10SAR..but respected senior colleague feel that only he should understand the technicals and not others..in words of Sant Tukaram
वेदाचा तो अर्थ आम्हासीच ठावा इतरांनी वाहवा भार माथा
Vedacha to artha amhasich thava | Itarani wahava bhar matha ||
( only we should interpret the Vedas and the others should carry load on their heads?)
Tukaram also says
शुद्ध बीजापोटी फळे रसाळ गोमटी
Shuddha beejapoti | Phale rasala gomati ||
(A good quality seed produces sweet and beautiful fruits; similarly good thoughts produce good deeds)
so I do not care but he is pouring life juice in my little wings. Please do not stop it.
I also know that Sant Tukaram says
Tuka mhane tochi santa | Soshi jagache aghata ||
(Tuka says the person who suffers at the hands of evil people without complains is the true saint)
at last I will conclude with this
भले तरी देऊ कासेची लंगोटी नाठाळाच्या माथी आणू काठी
Bhale tari deu kaasechi langoti / Naathalaache maathi haanu kaathi / Mau mena-huni amhi Vishnudaas / Kathin vajraasi bhedu aise (We may give away our loincloth, but we'll split the heads of the enemy; we Vishnu-devotees are softer than wax, but we can defy solid steel).
Many Many regds

Shradha Saburi said...

My Bro Dinesh Rishiji said..
& Shradha Saburi's contribution has no meaning for you.

Yes, its useless he is just twisting JNSAR & J10SAR nothing else It means he dont have faith in Masters levels. If you find anything useful there I would be glad to learn, plz show me.
thanks Rishili!
brother i am always Student here and not Master
I am ready to learn from you 24 into 7 hours
Have you gone my posts?
My levels are wrong then show it in front of all others brothers.
but who has given right to say or wrong.
If that is wrong then what is right?
tell us!!!
Are you law keeper we call in Marathi
पांडू हवालदार
do not take it in other way
Many Many regards
your Brother
Shradha Saburi

venkatapathy l said...

Namaste Ilango Sir.

Lots of love and regards

LV

numchar said...

Sometimes people come into your life , some events happen in your life & you know right away that they were meant to serve some sort of greater purpose, teach you a lesson,show you a path in subtle way or help you figure out who you are & or who you want to become.
And I think that's not coincidence its greater cosmic plan.

varun kumar said...

Good Morning llango sir and all seniors.
hava a nice day !

shazra said...

Good Morning Dear Sir and all friends

DNSHUKLA said...

Good Morning Sir,
Thanks for wonderful post. These Saturday posts make one to think some thing different.

Shradha Saburi said...

Dinesh Rishiji
you said.
Yes, its useless he is just twisting JNSAR & J10SAR nothing else It means he dont have faith in Masters levels. If you find anything useful there I would be glad to learn, plz show me.
Brother you have not read my blog.
All my levels are purely based on the JNSAR which is given by Shri Ilango Sir only
Brother ! you can not separate me from me two things one is my Sadguru Shree Sainath maharaj
and Ilango Sirs JNSAR.
regds

Dinesh Rishi said...

Shradha Saburi

You said it

"All my levels are purely based on the JNSAR which is given by Shri Ilango Sir"

Thats Y I said its of no use to repeat those levels & posting your blog link every now & than

It creates confusion

& I have no intention of separating you from anybody.

I think recently you might have read mail posted by master on JN group regarding links.

& thanks for giving me title "Pandu Hawaldaar"

I like it :D

J.R.Julius said...

@Master Mr.Illango,
I've sent you a mail. Kindly verify it.
Regards,
J.R.Julius

jitu bhadani said...

thanks to sir and dinesh rishi too for again posting message in this blog. as earlier he told will not post and done good drama . now hope he will behave as mature person.

Ravi Pillai said...

SIR
Shradha Saburi Blog inferences are quite useful to beginners like me.
His explanations are basic and and are complimentary and not contradictory.
Ravi


SANPOT said...

Thank you dear Sir for a beautiful post.

shriram said...

May be this will help us self-introspect the way we post on Web forums ...

<<
satyam bruyat priyam bruyat, na bruyat satyam apriyam

priyam cha nanrutam bruyat, esha dharmah sanatanah !!
>>

Speak truth in such a way that it should be pleasing to others.

Never speak truth, which is unpleasant to others.

Never speak untruth, which might be pleasant.

This is the path of eternal morality, sanatana dharma

Shradha Saburi said...

Good Evening Sir and all my Gems of JN
--------------------------

OM SAI RAM
---------------------------
regds

N Ram said...

Hello DR,

It is not a buy and sell call. If you notice my posts, it is all levels and may be in one post it was missed out. Ok. As you rightly said, if guys want to benefit from my analysis, let them visit my blog. No more posts here as I am having my own blog why should I post here. thanks a lot for pointing out.

N Ram said...

@Dr

I have such a beautiful charts, MACD and RSI indicators developed by me , I wanted to share here my views. See my timing of long call and comments and correlate with what happened after my comments in the markets, you will appreciate. 70% of my trading results in profits, due to my automated system based on MACD, RSI and EMA's.

Please go see the MACD and RSI charts which I posted in my blog you will appreciate. It is not the usual MACD ( 12,26,9) and RSI (14). This I developed after back testing for sufficient time with real trades not paper trades. I lost good money in the process.

Click my name in the comment and you will get my blog address. You are free to welcome and post your comments. I am not giving the blog link here as it can again cause issues.

I will continue to post here only views and levels and not my trades as suggested by you.

Thanks

PS May be you are male equivalent of Lankeshwari defeated by Hanuman. LOL no offence meant.

Dinesh Rishi said...

N Ram


Bro when you write

"I have such a beautiful charts, MACD and RSI indicators developed by me ,'

we come to know your market experience.
Lolzzzzzz

You are progressing in the wrong direnction

shriram said...

DR bhai,

Unable to control seeing ur commentry...

Experience can be meanigful when it gives 100% co-relation

Thats the ADvtg of Science of Maths over Obsv skill (or experience).

In sciences 1+1 = 2 always , i.e relation is CAUSE & EFFECT , & REPEATABLE

In that sense, any HiFreQ Osicll (RSI or Butter- worth Double Pole, or Ficher Cosine oscillator)

wen used wid deep understanding of the MATHS & near HIGHER DEGREE supports/ RES , is POSSIBLY the BEST TOOL to TRIGGER AN ENTRY !

Pls treat this view as an ENGG input to further TUNE YOUR VAST EXPERIENCE

HiFreQ oscillators are totally misunderstood by most "Experienced" TAs..

In that Respect Mr. N RAM , may have accidently stumbled upon a gr8 secret, now find out why i say this RAM ;-)

Kudos to all, keep asking WHY & THINK WITH INDEPENDENT THOUGHT W.o BRAIN WASH OF "PRESENT NORMS" ..

QUESTION EVERYTHING WITH BRUTE LOGIC, HOWEVER "established" the VIEW & MAY BE , YOU WILL FIND A WHOLE NEW WORLD!

These r NOT MY WORDS, they are of Einstien & he did a pretty good job, dint he ? ;-)


cheers

Shradha Saburi said...

Ram ne kisiko mara?
ans Ravanko
Shivaji ne kisiko mara?
Ans afzhalkhanko
test over!!!!!!

shriram said...

Dear Shradha,

??? kalale nahi :-)

Shradha Saburi said...

dear shreeRam
kay rao tumhi mala vicharata?
tumachya blog warachya photo kade bagha!

shriram said...

hahhaha...Shraddha, mee brahman manus aaahe, nishpaapi nahi tari suddha Gandhi-giri madhe vishwas rakhanara ahe... tar ase kunache dahan karayche vagere, ase vichar manaat kase yenaar ?? ;-)

Sarve Bhavantu Sukhinaha!

These r very small things, peoples opinions, that y i like Maths! Anyhow, not to worry or get attached, view should be learn everyday & accept humbly that wot we know today is just the tip of Ice-berg .
Then we shall truly get enlightened :-)

Gnite

shriram said...

Wk TA - Nifty Spot
Supports : 5885 / 5750
Res: 5965 / 5980 / 6018 / 6044

Wave C.3 MAY BE nearing completion, high prob SHORT TRADE IS NEARBY!

Best trade is to Short as close to 6018 as possible or On Break of 5885 with 20pts SL

Tgts: 5750 / 5650 / 5550

cheers

N Ram said...

Shreeram

In that Respect Mr. N RAM , may have accidently stumbled upon a gr8 secret, now find out why i say this RAM ;-)

Yes you are right. I like your approach and open mind. It was an accident occurred after lot of number crunching, research, permutation and combination.

Rgds,

Post a Comment