Saturday, December 15, 2012

Happiest people are those who change their terms for the ones whom they love.

My wife called,‘How long will you be with that newspaper? Will you come here and make your darling daughter eat her food?’
I tossed the paper away and rushed to the scene. My only daughter Sindu looked frightened.
Tears were welling up in her eyes. In front of her was a bowl filled to its brim with Curd Rice.
Sindu is a nice child, quite intelligent for her age.She has just turned eight.She particularly detested Curd Rice.
My mother and my wife are orthodox, and believe firmly in the ‘cooling effects’ of Curd Rice!
I cleared my throat, and picked up the bowl. ‘Sindu, darling,why don’t you take a few mouthful of this Curd Rice? Just for Dad’s sake, dear.
Sindu softened a bit, and wiped her tears with the back of her hands. ‘OK, Dad. I will eat – not just a few mouthfuls, but the whole lot of this. But, you should…’ Sindu hesitated.
‘Dad, if I eat this entire curd Rice, will you give me whatever I ask for?’………..
Oh sure, darling’….
Promise?’……
‘Promise’.
I covered the pink soft hand extended by my daughter with mine, and clinch the deal.
‘Ask Mom also to give a similar promise’, my daughter insisted.
My wife put her hand on Sindu’s, muttering ‘Promise’.
Now I became a bit anxious. ‘Sindu dear, you shouldn’t insist on getting a computer or any such expensive items.Dad does not have that kind of money right now. OK?’
‘No, Dad. I do not want anything expensive’.Slowly and painfully, she finished eating the whole quantity.
I was silently angry with my wife and my mother for forcing my child eat something that she detested.
After the ordeal was through, Sindu came to me with her eyes wide with expectation.All our attention was on her………….
’Dad, I want to have my head shaved off, this Sunday!’ was her demand.
‘Atrocious!’ shouted my wife,
‘A girl child having her head shaved off? Impossible!’
‘Never in our family!’ my mother rasp.
‘She has been watching too much of television. Our culture is getting totally spoiled with these TV programs!’
Sindu darling, why don’t you ask for something else? We will be sad seeing you with a clean-shaven head.’
‘No, Dad. I do not want anything else’, Sindu said with finality.
‘Please, Sindu, why don’t you try to understand our feelings?’ I tried to plead with her.
‘Dad, you saw how difficult it was for me to eat that Curd Rice’. Sindu was in tears.
‘And you promised to grant me whatever I ask for.Now, you are going back on your words. Was it not you who told me the story of King Harishchandra, and its moral that we should honor our promises no matter what?
It was time for me to call the shots. ‘Our promise must be kept.’
‘Are you out your mind?’ chorused my mother and wife.
‘No. If we go back on our promises, she will never learn to honor her own.
Sindu, your wish will be fulfilled.’
With her head clean-shaven, Sindu had a round-face, and her eyes looked big and beautiful.
On Monday morning, I dropped her at her school. It was a sight to watch my hairless Sindu walking towards her classroom.
She turned around and waved. I waved back with a smile.
Just then, a boy alighted from a car, and shouted, ‘Sinduja, please wait for me!’
What struck me was the hairless head of that boy. ‘May be, that is the in-stuff’, I thought.
‘Sir, your daughter Sinduja is great indeed!’ Without introducing herself, a lady got out of the car, and continued,’That boy who is walking along with your daughter is my son Harish. He is suffering from… …leukemia.’ She paused to muffle her sobs. Harish could not attend the school for the whole of the last month.He lost all his hair due to the side effects of the chemotherapy. He refused to come back to school fearing the unintentional but cruel teasing of the schoolmates’ Sinduja visited him last week, and promised him that she will take care of the teasing issue.
But, I never imagined she would sacrifice her lovely hair for the sake of my son!
Sir, you and your wife are blessed to have such a noble soul as your daughter.’
I stood transfixed. And then, I wept. ‘My little Angel, you are teaching me how self-less real love is!

The happiest people on this planet are not those who live on their own terms but are those who change their terms for the ones whom they love.
-Source: Forwarded By Govind Bhagwat from "Inspireurfriend".

40 comments:

BALA said...

great moral story.Hates off

Bala said...

Good Morning, Ilango ji

paddy said...

Truly amazing!! I am reading and re reading the last lines..God Bless!!

Kumar said...

Namaskaaram GuruJi and Friends,

Good Morning.

Have a Good Day.

Pranams
Kumar

J.R.Julius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dinesh Rishi said...

Good Morning Master and copy to All


Master Pranaam.

ajja said...

good morning master & prentice

DNSHUKLA said...

GM Sir, really beautiful.Thanks

shekhar said...

good morning ,sir, beautiful story, i cried myself,
thanks

venkatapathy l said...

Namaste Ilango Sir.

Really touching; wonderful. Exceptionally good one.

Love and regards,

LV

NEVER GIVE UP said...

Good Morning Ilango Sir & All Friends.

Smita said...

Good Morning Sir ,

So true , I have learned a lot from my kids in real life :)

sarvesh said...

i dont know how i felt..cried and laughed loudly

Ravi Pillai said...

I too wept.
Tears of JOY?
Tomorrow belongs to LIKES of SINDHU
A very BRIGHT Tomorrow in
Caring Safe Selfless Hands.
Ravi.

GiftBasketsFrance.fr said...

Hours of Christmas has arrived. Now ring the bells of Christmas celebration along with the contents of the address www.giftbasketsfrance.fr that contains array of brightly arranged flowers. Create charm of flowers with brilliancy of colors.

shriram said...

Superb story master!

The real pleasures of Life , are gained by doing small things, with a Big Heart .

srinivasan k said...

Ilango master story is very superrrrr . Have a niceday .

SANPOT said...

A really touching story Ilango Sir, true love and friendship are spontaneous and innocent.

SANPOT said...

Thank you for the great post Sir.

rajapvt said...

Heart touching story, In their innocence, very young children know themselves to be light and love. If we will allow them, they can teach us to see ourselves the same way.

San said...

Tears in my eyes, Great Post Sir

jay shah said...

awesome weekend story sir happy weekend to everyone

Kumar Technicals said...

Dear ILango Sir!

Thanx from bottom of my heart for this touching story, this is best of 2012 for me. Me & my wife read this again & again, tears in our eyes.

We dont have any daughter but praying God to bless us a daughter like Sindu in next birth.

Rgrds,

Kumar

HARISH TAHKKAR said...

Heart does creates emotional waves.
6 Days in week for external richnes.
1 day in week for internal richnes.
Life here becomes meaningful.

rajiv malik said...

very touching and inspiring !

J.R.Julius said...

Good Morning Master Mr.Illango, Master Mr.Dinesh Rishi & Blogmates. Have a Nice Day. ♥

manojag said...

Modi's getting 135+

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/gujarat-elections-2012-narendra-modi-sonia-gandhi-rahul-gandhi/1/238013.html

rajiv malik said...

Nifty (5,879.6)

The Nifty too declined to the intra-week low of 5,839 before reversing on Friday.

The recovery can take the index to 5,918 in the early part of the week. Inability to move beyond this level will be the cue for short term traders to play short with stop at 5,940. Downward targets would be 5,840 and 5,806.

If the index manages to move above 5,965, next target is at 6,096.

The medium-term trend in the Nifty continues to be up. But we are expecting a correction from these levels since five-wave formation from 5,032 low appears to be complete.

If a medium-term correction kicks in, it can drag the Nifty down to 5,685 or 5,600 in the months ahead.

The Nifty can then form a broad range between 5,600 and 5,950 for few months before attempting to move beyond 6,000.

courtesy businessline

Shradha Saburi said...

Good evening Sir and all my Gems of JN
thanks for the nice post
regds

Hari said...

Good evening master

Thank you

Dimpy said...

What a great inspiration.. I admired a lot Sinduja.. :)

Post a Comment